How to make Iced Shaken Espresso at home
by Lucia Liang on Jul 23, 2023
As we have mentioned before in some of our previous articles, The launch of shaken espressos at Starbucks in early 2021 introduced customers to this “new” type of drink. This one is the perfect and cool summer treat!
If you want to enjoy a delicious shaken espresso at home instead of going to a coffee shop, here's an easy recipe to iced shaken espresso drinks for you.
What you will need
- Freshly Brewed Espresso (2 Shots): The key to making a delicious iced shake espresso is good espresso.
- Classic syrup (3 Pumps):You can directly use starbucks classic syrup, or you can simply make it at home. Of course, you can change the flavor of the syrup to any flavor you like, such as brown sugar syrup, vanilla syrup.
- Milk of Choice: The Starbucks original version contains 2% milk. Feel free to use milk of your choice, skim or whole milk, or non-dairy milk such as almond milk, soy milk or oat milk.
- Ice cubes: Try to choose enough small, firm pieces of ice. Only by adding enough ice can the espresso be cooled without being overly diluted by the rapid melting of the ice.
How to make an Iced Shaken Espresso at home
- Brew two shots of espresso with Wirsh espresso machine.
- Fill a cocktail shaker or resealable jar with ice cubes.
- Pour the prepared espresso and 3 pumps of classic syrup into the shaker, and seal it.
- Shake the iced espresso for about 30 seconds until a nice layer of foam appears and the espresso is completely cooled.
- Pour the iced shaken espresso into your glass and finish with your favorite milk.
How to make homemade syrup
Homemade syrups are very easy to make, you simply dissolve some sugar in hot water (along with any other ingredients), boil, and simmer. Simple syrups are usually made with a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water. So you need a cup of water and a cup of white granulated sugar ahead of time.
With these ingredients ready, you can begin making syrup by following these steps:
- Place a saucepan on a stove over medium heat and add sugar and water, or other ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir constantly until it begins to dissolve.
- Take the syrup off the heat and let it cool once the sugar is completely dissolved.
- When the syrup has completely cooled down, it can be stored in a resealable jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Note: If you replace white granulated sugar with brown sugar, you will get brown sugar syrup. You can also add more ingredients to get specific flavors, such as vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, unsweetened cocoa powder, etc., to make various syrups, such as toasted vanilla syrup,etc.
Enjoy the unique flavor of Iced Shaken Espresso
You can easily make an iced shaken espresso by making this simple recipe at home. An iced shaken espresso only needs a few ingredients, and you can customize the sweetness and flavor to your liking. And it can be done in less than five minutes, which means you can enjoy it anytime, even on busy weekday mornings, also you can great to start the day! Now let's shake together, decompress and save money!
Wheat By The Wayside. “STARBUCKS COPYCAT ICED SHAKEN ESPRESSO: ONLY FOUR INGREDIENTS!” Katie, February 14, 2023, www.wheatbythewayside.com/starbucks-iced-shaken-espresso-recipe/#what-is-a-shaken-espresso
Your Dream Coffee.“Iced Shaken Espresso: An Easy 5-Minute Recipe for Summer”, JEFFREY, April 1, 2022, www.yourdreamcoffee.com/iced-shaken-espresso-recipe/