How to make a Pistachio Latte
by Lucia Liang on Dec 16, 2023
The combination of coffee and nuts is truly delightful. One such enticing invention that is gaining popularity in the coffee world is the pistachio latte.
The pistachio latte is actually a seasonal drink on the Starbucks menu, if you missed your pistachio latte in spring, or want to recreate it in another season, in this article, we will not only explore the origins and appeal of pistachio lattes, but also provide you with a simple recipe for enjoying this drink in the comfort of your own home.
What is a pistachio latte?
As the name suggests, a pistachio latte is a flavored coffee drink with pistachio syrup.
Pistachio latte originated from the desire to infuse coffee with a natural nutty flavor. After the success of their hazelnut flavored drink, Starbucks looked to Italian cuisine for further inspiration.It seems logical to choose pistachios. Because of their buttery texture and distinctive taste, pistachios have long been cherished by culinary traditions around the world and are widely used in Italian desserts.
The taste of pistachio latte
Freshly roasted coffee beans provide a solid base for the aroma and flavor of the pistachio latte.In pistachio lattes, the pistachio flavor usually comes in the form of syrup or paste. The smooth and delicate pistachio syrup blends the essence of toasted pistachios with a hint of sweetness, giving the drink a sweet, rich flavor. The syrup harmonized well with the coffee, producing a delightfully balanced flavor with toasty and nutty notes. Finally, the drink is topped with a sweet drizzle of milk to create a velvety texture that complements the pistachio's nutty flavor.
Ingredients for making pistachio latte
- A small saucepan (for butter browning)
- Wirsh espresso machine
- 1 oz espresso
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp pistachio syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup shelled and crushed pistachios
- Optional: Pinch of salt (up to ¼ tsp)
How to make a pistachio latte
- UsingWirsh espresso machine to brew 1oz espresso. Set it aside.
- Cut the butter into even pieces and place in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir gently until it bubbles and turns golden brown, and remove from the heat.
- Prepare the pistachio syrup. If you have ready-made syrup, just measure out 2 tablespoons.If you want to make your own, here's a quick recipe:
-In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of water, 1 cup of granulated sugar, and 1/2 cup of shelled and crushed pistachios.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until it boils, stirring occasionally.
Optional: Add a dash of salt to the sugar and water mixture to accentuate the sweetness and saltiness of the syrup.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 8-10 minutes to allow the pistachio flavors to blend into the syrup.
- Remove from the heat and strain any pistachios. Let it cool.
- Add pistachio syrup and brown butter to a coffee cup and mix with espresso. Stir gently to ensure the syrup is evenly distributed.
- Froth milk and slowly pour over the coffee.
- Optional: Top your pistachio latte with crushed pistachiosor crushed shortbread cookies for an extra touch of indulgence.
- Give it a gentle stir, and your homemade pistachio latte is ready to be savored.
Combine espresso with pistachio syrup, brown butter and milk, and you can create a pistachio latte worthy of a coffee shop. Whether served hot or iced, this drink provides a pleasure that stimulates the taste buds. So gather your ingredients, follow the simple recipe, and bask in the bliss of your homemade pistachio latte.